Sunday, March 19, 2006

Lie down. Lie down.

They've done nothing to me yet, but the changes were underway long before I was brought here. Those children at the funeral. I had no idea what to even say to them. And people I had known years ago, all wearing black suits. Granted, I managed to crack a few jokes. But I always manage that, somehow or other. I couldn't manage to sit among them, though, at the table, when the tea and ham sandwiches were being served. Nor could I do anything useful when tears began to appear at the corners of most everyone's eyes.

Whatever connects me to the world is breaking, sundering, dissolving. And I don't want it to.

Gracious. For a moment there I thought I was referring to my own funeral.

Silly me.

That won't be for a while yet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home